SUMMER TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM (STEP)
**Program concluded for 2017, check back for details regarding the 2018 program as they become available**
2017 Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP)
STEP is a 4 - 16 week wage subsidy program that provides funding to eligible Alberta employers to hire high school or post-secondary students into summer jobs from May to August. The University of Lethbridge is eligible to receive a wage subsidy of $7/hour through the Government of Alberta to hire eligible students. Human Resources will process all of the applications for the STEP grant before the application deadline of February 24, 2017. We ask that all applications be received by e-mail no later than Friday, February 17, 2017, in order to include the proposed STEP position in the University’s application. All applications received by the deadline will be considered by the Provincial Government, up to our maximum allotment of 35 STEP positions.
- Full-time positions (minimum of 30 hours/week, maximum 37.5 hours/week)
- Minimum of four weeks to a maximum of 16 weeks in duration
- Position must start no earlier than May 1 and end no later than August 31
- Positions can be under any National Occupational Classification (0, A, B, C, or D).
- Positions shorter than four weeks or longer than 16 weeks.
- Positions not occurring between May and August.
- Positions where the wage subsidy is already funded by provincial or federal government sources (e.g. Canada Summer Jobs).
- Compulsory or optional apprenticeship trades and occupations. A list of these trades and occupations can be found at http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trades-occupations/trades-occupations-list/
- Positions funded through existing employment programs and placements (e.g. co-ops, employer internships).
- At least 15 years of age
- A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
- International students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for STEP.
- Resides and/or attends school in Alberta with an Alberta address
- Returning to high school or a post-secondary institution no later than November 1.
- Must be enrolled in a program that will result in a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Technical training for Apprenticeship is not eligible
- Is available for full-time summer employment
- Participates in only one STEP position during the summer
- Not currently employed in the organization
- Not immediately related to the owners or staff responsible for hiring in the organization
Information needed to process the application (All Required):
- Job title
- Job Description
- Number of students requested
- Anticipated Start Date
- Anticipated End Date
- Anticipated Number of days the student will work
- Anticipated hours of work per day
- Anticipated hourly wage
Additional information can be found on the Government’s website or by contacting Darren Fletcher (332-4483). To apply please forward the above required information to Human Resources no later than Friday, February 17, 2017, in order to include the proposed STEP position in the University’s application.