Personal Days (APO, ESS, Excluded Proffesionals & Senior Administration)
December 14, 2016
Dear Members of the Administrative Professional Officers (APOs), Exempt Support Staff (ESS), Excluded Professionals, and Senior Administration employee groups:
Following the Government of Alberta’s directive that the University of Lethbridge freeze compensation for non-bargaining employees (APOs, ESS, Excluded Professionals, and Senior Administration) for the period of April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2018, the University has consulted with the affected employee groups to find ways to ensure that these employee groups are treated as fairly as possible in light of this challenging situation. Recognising that the affected employee groups are not receiving any compensation increases, the University is offering Personal Days to affected employees for the period of January 2017 to June 30, 2018.
From January 1, 2017 – June 30, 2017, non-bargaining employees will receive 2.5 Personal Days off from work. From July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018, non-bargaining employees will receive another 5 Personal Days. These Personal Days reflect the priority of Work-Life Balance in the People Plan and can be used by non-bargaining employees when they desire a day off to perhaps extend a vacation, create a long weekend or to take an afternoon to play golf or go for a bike ride. However you choose to use your Personal Days, please work with your supervisor regarding scheduling to ensure that you use and enjoy them! Complete guidelines regarding the use of Personal Days are included below.
Please note that the University will also continue to offer the Voluntary Personal Leave Plan in 2017-18 to those employees who wish to participate in this program.
The University recognises and appreciates the valuable contributions that you provide. If there are any questions about Personal Days, please contact Elaine Carlson, Associate Vice-President (Human Resources and Administration), or your Senior HR Consultant.
Vice-President (Finance & Administration)
Guidelines for the use of Personal Days:
- Personal Days are to be taken at a time mutually agreed on by the employee and their supervisor to ensure that departmental operational needs are still being met. Supervisors are asked to be flexible to ensure that employees have the opportunity to take the Personal Days.
- Supervisors are encouraged to proactively work with employees in the scheduling of the Personal Days in such a way that the ability of employees to accomplish their work goals are not adversely affected by the taking of the Personal Days.
- To support employees’ well-being and work-life balance, all employees are encouraged and enabled to take their earned vacation time on an annual basis.
- Personal days may be taken prior to using annual vacation entitlement.
- Personal days cannot carryover to future years and must be used in the time period during which they are allocated. Personal Days not taken during the time period are forfeited.
- Employees will not receive pay in lieu of unused Personal Days.
- Personal days will be managed and tracked by supervisors, and will not be entered into the BANNER HR system.
- Personal Days are prorated based on the full-time equivalent (FTE) of the employee's position and the months worked during the year. Personal days are not earned during periods of leave without pay of more than one month in duration.
As we are not recording any Personal Days on either the hourly Timesheets or the monthly Exception Reports; we have provided tools below for managers (request forms & tracking spreadsheet) to track employee Personal Days.