Health Insurance for International Students

To have health insurance like Canadians, you will have need to have two plans that work together.

1. Basic Plan

Option A: Basic Health Insurance (Available if staying in Canada for over 6 months)

All University students MUST have “basic” health insurance. Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan will cover the cost of your doctor's bills, hospital bills, surgery and medical tests.

  • If you do not have home travel health insurance and are in Canada for over one year, you must have this plan.
  • There are no costs for this plan but you must register. Come see our Customer Services Team at the Health Centre within the first two weeks of coming to Canada

Option B: Travel Health Insurance (Available from your home country or province)

You can have a travel health insurance plan from your home country or province. The Health Centre will need to see an English translation of your coverage to make sure you have enough coverage to protect you from large medical bills.

If you are staying for more than a year, enrolling in the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan is usually less expensive than purchasing a costly travel Insurance plan in your own country.

If you are staying for less than one year, the Alberta Health Car Insurance Plan will not be available to you. The Health Centre has an excellent short term plan available to students. Call the Health Centre at 403.329.2484 ext 2 or drop by SU 020.

2. Extended Health Insurance

This plan pays for medical costs not covered by Alberta Health Care, i.e., ambulance, medication, dental work, etc. The costs for this plan are included in your tuition. You will be automatically enrolled in the Students' Union Extended Health and Dental Plan if you are a full-time student. This plan is not available for EAP students.

The Board of Governors of the University of Lethbridge requires all International Visa students to have health insurance while they are students here.

Visit us at the Health Centre, in the Students' Union Building (SU020) within the first two weeks of arriving at the University of Lethbridge. We will help you to understand how the Canadian health system works and ensure that you have adequate health insurance. This will avoid delays in registration and/or payment of your tuition fees

You should also be contacting the Health Centre when you have

  • Study permit changes
  • Address changes
  • Billing problems with your plans