Withdrawal with Cause

What is a WC?

A WC designation is a ‘Withdrawal with Cause’ record on your transcript which indicates a course withdrawal in case of serious illness or extenuating circumstances. A WC can occur following the last day to add/drop classes up until the last day of classes.

According to the University of Lethbridge Calendar:
The designation ‘WC’ is recorded only in case of serious illness or other extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student, which make continuation in a course impossible and where an ‘Incomplete’ designation is not in order. For admitted students, the ‘WC’ is recorded only on application to the Faculty Advising Office.

Why would I request a WC?

A WC shows future transcript reviewers that your course withdrawal was due to extraordinary circumstances. For some students, a new or ongoing health issue has caused problems during the semester; for others, emotional problems like grief or a mental health issue has interfered with academic success.

Are there alternatives to a WC?

After the add/drop deadline, you can Withdraw, Withdraw with Cause, or apply for an Incomplete, depending on your circumstances. You can refer to the U of L Calendar or meet with your Academic Advisor to see which best fits your situation.

If I decide that I want to pursue a WC, what should I do?

First, email your Academic Advisor to set up an appointment to discuss your situation and determine eligibility. Your advisor will request supporting documentation (information or paperwork from a physician, counsellor, or other source) to accompany the Withdrawal form. Keep in mind that each request is reviewed individually and requests are granted by the Faculty on a case-by-case basis.

Where can I get documentation to support my WC request?

The University of Lethbridge’s Counselling Services offers confidential appointments to assess personal and academic situations, and the U of L Health Centre provides nurse and physician care. Supporting documentation can come from on-campus of off-campus offices. Please note that documentation from counsellors and physicians is often titled ‘Recommendation for Withdrawal for Medical Causes’ which is meant to be a support to you in your request for a WC, however, it does not guarantee an automatic granting of the request.

I am returning to school after a Withdrawal with Cause and I’m being asked for documentation updating my illness/extenuating circumstance. Why?

In order to ensure that you are well enough to return to school and succeed, the Advising office may request that you see a physician/counsellor to get a note regarding your current health.

Where can I get assistance?

Academic Advising:  
Bachelor of Nursing: health.sciences@uleth.ca; 403-329-2220; M3076
Bachelor of Health Sciences: health.sciences@uleth.ca; 403-329-2649; M3102

Counselling Services: counselling.services@uleth.ca; 403-317-2845; TH217

Health Centre: health.centre@uleth.ca; 403-329-2484; SU020

Events Calendar

Monday, October 13, 2014 (All day)
Wednesday, October 15, 2014 (All day)
Saturday, October 18, 2014 (All day)
Tuesday, November 11, 2014 (All day)
Thursday, December 4, 2014 (All day)
Monday, December 8, 2014 (All day)
Thursday, December 25, 2014 (All day)
Tuesday, January 6, 2015 (All day)