Frequently Asked Questions

Q - An ABHL/ADCS/HLSC/PUBH/NURS/TREC course I would like to take is reserved, is there any way I can register?
A - Spaces in many courses in the Faculty of Health Sciences are reserved for students who require those specific courses to meet degree requirements. Reserves will be removed by the first week of classes when remaining spaces will be made available for general access. Students are advised to keep trying to register on the Bridge and hopefully space will become available.

B.H.Sc. students: If you are unable to access an ABHL/ADCS/HLSC/PUBH/TREC course required for your degree, send an email (from your U of L account) to clearly stating: 1) your ID number; 2) the course name, number, CRN; and 3) the number and CRN for any accompanying labs.

Q - How is my graduation GPA calculated?
A - For B.H.Sc. and B.T.R. students, the graduation GPA is the cumulative GPA recorded on your U of L transcript. You can view your unofficial transcript on the Bridge.

For NURSING STUDENTS the graduation GPA is calculated using the grade point average from all gradable courses used to meet program requirements; this includes courses taken at the U of L, courses completed at Lethbridge College, and transfer courses from other institutions. Only courses used to meet degree requirements will be used in this calculation (any extra courses that aren't required for your program are not calculated into your graduation GPA). Please refer to Part 10 of the Calendar (from the year you entered the program) for a complete listing of courses required for each program. Please note that students in the collaborative Nursing program or students who have received transfer credit from another institution often have a significantly different graduation GPA than the cumulative GPA displayed on the U of L transcript. Use our GPA calculation templates to easliy calculate your Graduation GPA.

Q - How do I register in courses?
A - Students can check assigned registration dates and add/drop classes on the Bridge.

Q - I'm just starting the B.N. program, do I register in courses at the U of L?
A - Students in the collaborative B.N. program complete their first two years at Lethbridge College. The Lethbridge College Admissions office provides students with a letter containing information on how to log in to see their (pre-registered) class schedules. Further questions regarding registration in courses during the first two years of the program can be directed to Lethbridge College Academic Advising at 403-320-3322 or

Q - Does the U of L offer online courses?
A - There are only a few courses offered online each term and any course section that is taught online will have "OL" as the section (rather than A, B, C, etc.). The Faculties of Management and Fine Arts also have limited online course offerings throughout the year. Check the timetable for these listings.

Q - What is the Liberal Education List?
A - In keeping with the liberal education focus of the University, all undergraduate students must complete the Liberal Education List Requirement. The Program Planning Guides for Faculty of Health Sciences programs include regular program requirements and Liberal Education requirements.

Q - What is the minimum GPA I need in the Faculty of Health Sciences?
A - To be in good standing, on academic probation or required to withdraw, a student must fall within the GPA ranges as indicated below:

Q - Can I take a class through another university that will count towards my degree requirements?
A - Only under extenuating circumstances may students in the Faculty of Health Sciences obtain special permission to study at another university to receive credit at the U of L for any course(s) taken on another campus. Permission must be obtained before enrollment at the other university. Contact the appropriate Advisor in Health Sciences for more information.

Q - Can I take a class if I don't have the prerequisite?
A - Students may receive a prerequisite waiver for an Addictions Counselling, Health Sciences, Public Health or Nursing course by obtaining authorization from both the instructor of the course and an academic advisor within the Faculty of Health Sciences. Students must complete a Prerequisite Waiver form.

Q - How much does it cost each semester to attend the U of L?
A - The most current university fees are listed in the academic Calendar.

Q - I can't get into a course that is part of my minor, what can I do?
A - Courses at the U of L can only be reserved for particular programs/majors and NOT for minors. This means you will not have priority access to courses that are part of your minor, and you will not be eligible for wait-lists. Additionally, it is against the Faculty of Health Sciences's policy to overfill courses for students who are seeking to fulfill minor requirements.