Frequently Asked Questions - Therapeutic Recreation Program

Q: Can I take the program online/blended delivery? 

A: Yes, we offer admission into an online/blended cohort. There will be one week during the program where students will travel to Alberta to complete two courses in a condensed time frame (approximately one week). The practicum is full-time, 15-week placement with a CTRS supervisor and must be completed during the degree. Students can complete the online program in 2.5 years. Online students must take the two blended courses, TREC 3100 and TREC 3400, simultaneously over the summer.

Q: Can I take the program at the main campus? 

A: Yes, If you attend the main campus the majority of your classes will be taught in a classroom setting, although students should be prepared to complete a few online courses throughout the program. Students who attend main campus full-time can complete the program in two years. 

Q: I have a bachelor's degree in a related field and wish to be a Certified Recreation Therapist Specialist, can I enter the program?

A: Yes, we have an after degree option for both our on campus and online/blended formats for those who have an approved undergraduate degree (a minimum of 90.0 credit hours from a recognized degree-granting institution).

Q: How long do I have to complete the program? 

A: All degree requirements must be completed within six (6) years of completion of the first Therapeutic Recreation/Health Sciences course used for credit towards the degree. 

Q: I already completed some of the support courses in my diploma program, do I have to retake them? 

A: Yes. Because we are granting students a block transfer of two years towards a four-year degree no additional transfer credit will be granted. Students also need to take these classes to ensure that they are meeting NCTRC requirements which are included in our courses.