Financial FAQ

What happens if I register late?

We cannot assign or activate any award funding or employment (Graduate Assistantship) payments until you are registered as a full-time graduate student for the funding period.  If you are not registered by the 8th of the month, your employment payments (e.g. Graduate Assistantships) will be delayed by one month.  If you are not registered by the add/drop deadline of the term, your award payments will be delayed by one month.

What is needed to be set up for Payroll?

You are required to submit:

  • Bank account information (blank cheque or printout of account information)
  • U of L direct deposit form, signed
  • Copy Social Insurance Number (international students)
  • Copy of study permit (international students)

This information must be received no later then the 8th of the month in order to be processed and for payment to be set up for that month. 

Where can I find out about funding opportunities?

The Graduate Awards website lists many upcoming funding opportunities.  Each entry provides key information about the funding opportunity, including the application deadline and information on how to apply.  We also encourage you to utilise the additional resources for award applicants, including links to other funding databases.  

Can I get a teaching assistantship?

Graduate Assistantships (teaching/non-teaching) are assigned at the time of admission by your home department.  If you are not offered a GA (t/nt) in your letter of offer it is still possible for a department to offer you an assignment if the department is in need of GA’s.  Contact your department’s Graduate Coordinator for more information.

What is the difference between Graduate Assistantship (teaching/non-teaching) and Graduate Assistantship (research)?

Graduate Assistantship (teaching/non-teaching) is contracted employment within your Faculty and are guided by the Graduate Collective Agreement.  Duties are assigned by the department and typically a full GA is $3,600 for 120 hours of work within a single term.  

How will I be paid for my Graduate Assistantship?

Graduate Assistantships whether for teaching/non-teaching or for research are paid via the University’s payroll system.  Funds are directly deposited into your bank account on the last business day of the month. 

GA (teaching/non-teaching) are paid only in the semester you are completing the work.  Typically departments have GAs in the Fall and Spring terms. 

How will I receive my scholarships?

Some awards, such as the Tuition Scholarship, are paid into your university account and first applied against any outstanding tuition and fees.  Other awards may be paid in monthly installments via payroll via direct deposit into your bank account at the end of the month. If you are unsure how the funds will be received, contact the Graduate Awards Advisor. 

Do I have to pay my tuition and fees, or will my awards pay them for me?

School of Graduate Studies admission awards are first applied against any outstanding tuition and fees; please review your uleth financial account to determine if you have a positive balance (where the balance can be moved over to your bank account) or a negative balance (you need to pay the balance by the due date) after your award payments have been applied.  Award payments are typically June 1, Oct. 1 and Feb 1.   Please note that tuition awards do not cover student fees.  

If I have a Tuition Scholarship why is there still an outstanding balance on my account?

Your tuition scholarship covers the cost of tuition but you still have to cover the associated fees and other charges.  You can set up payroll deduction if you are receiving funds through a GA (teaching or research).  Simply complete the Financial Services “graduate student payroll letter” and bring it to the Cash Office at the start of each semester.

When will my awards be dispersed?

Admission scholarship payments are typically June 1, Oct. 1 and Feb 1.   Please note that tuition scholarships do not cover student fees. 
Other external scholarships may be paid via payroll in monthly payments or at other times in the year as stipulated by the agency.  You can confirm payment method and timing by contacting the Graduate Awards Advisor 

When and how will my graduate assistantship payments be dispersed?

Graduate Assistantships (teaching/non teaching/research) are paid via the University’s payroll system.  The University has a single payday per month with funds distributed directly to your bank account on the last business day of the month.  

What awards can I apply for?  How do I apply?

There is a funding database on the School of Graduate Studies website.  This site is there to help kick off your search for applicable funding opportunities.  Each award has it’s own application, eligibility criteria and deadlines so be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly. 

Can my tuition be waived?

No.  Every student must pay tuition and associated fees.  Scholarships that are applied to your account will credit these outstanding costs.  In addition, you can arrange to a monthly amount deducted from your paycheque each month.

How much is tuition?

Please refer to the calendar.

When does tuition have to be paid?

Tuition and fees are due on June 1, Oct. 1 and Feb 1.  

What is my tuition if I take courses?

Graduate programs within the Faculty of Arts & Science and Faculty of Management do not charge for courses above the tuition costs.  Please refer to the tuition tables for programs within Nursing and Education.

I am applying for a scholarship. Can you pull the reference letters and transcripts from my admission application?

No. Because many scholarships are sent out to the funding agencies, each application requires it’s own set of transcripts as well as reference letters.  

Is there someone who can help with me with my scholarship application?

Yes, your questions can be directed to the Graduate Awards Advisor  

What if I need to contact the Graduate Awards Advisor?

Please fill out the inquiries form located on our website or send an email to the Graduate Awards Advisor