Thesis Examination Committee
Membership of the Thesis Examination Committee
There are at least four (4) members on the Thesis Examination Committee:
- A Chair: The home department chair, or a faculty member who is a member of the School of Graduate Studies designated by the department (e.g., Graduate Coordinator), or a designate when the department chair is also a member of the Supervisory Committee.
- Internal Examiners: All members of the student’s Supervisory Committee, including the supervisor.
- An External Examiner (optional): May be internal or external to the University. The External Examiner must have no academic relationship with the student or the supervisor that constitutes conflict of interest and must submit a completed Conflict of Interest form (www.ulethbridge.ca/graduate-studies/forms) with his or her curriculum vitae to the supervisor who will forward it to the School of Graduate Studies for decanal consideration.
An External Examiner may participate remotely, for example utilizing videoconferencing or teleconferencing technology supported by the University.
All members are voting members, except the Chair, who assists the other members of the Thesis Examination Committee to reach a unanimous decision in cases where there is any uncertainty.
The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies approves the membership of the Thesis Examination Committee after the Request for Final Thesis Examination form is submitted to the School of Graduate Studies.
Exceptions to the Thesis Examination Committee composition can be granted by the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.
Duties and responsibilities of the Thesis Examination Committee
The responsibility of the Thesis Examination Committee is to assess the completed Thesis, by reviewing the Thesis and conducting the Thesis oral defence in accordance with the procedures developed by the School of Graduate Studies (see Thesis oral defence).
The Thesis Examination Committee’s specific responsibilities include the following:
- Reviewing and assessing the completed Thesis, in accordance with the guidelines described in Assessing the Thesis.
- Questioning of the student during the Thesis oral defence.
- Assessing the student, based on the Thesis, and the student’s responses and performance during the Thesis oral defence.
The Thesis Examination Committee Chair is responsible for:
- Chairing the Thesis oral defence to ensure procedural fairness and consistency, and to assist the Thesis Examination Committee to reach an assessment decision (see Making a decision).
- Ensuring the proper process is followed.
- Informing the student of the results of the Thesis oral defence and reporting the results to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies immediately following the defence.
The Thesis Examination Committee Chair is a representative of the School of Graduate Studies and is required to be familiar with the policies and procedures related to the Thesis oral defence.