SGS Governing Principles (as of April 9, 2018)
VI. Graduate Program Committees
For each graduate program, or appropriate group of graduate programs or majors (subject to the approval of Graduate Council), there shall be a graduate program committee (GPC), acting on delegated authority from Graduate Council, for general supervision of the program (see Duties and Responsibilities).
The composition of each GPC will be recommended annually by the appropriate faculty council/s (referring to the faculty or faculties delivering the program or programs under the purview of that particular GPC), no later than May 1 to the Executive Committee of Graduate Council.
Terms of GPC Chairs and members shall normally be for a minimum of two years and a maximum of three years, beginning on July 1 and ending on June 30. The appropriate faculty council shall recommend alternate members, or an alternate Chair, in cases where mid-term vacancies arise.
The name, academic areas of oversight, and voting membership of any GPC is subject to the final approval of Graduate Council.
GPC meetings shall be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Program Committee Chair
- Three faculty members who are jointly members of the School of Graduate Studies and the faculty where the program is delivered
- One member of the School of Graduate Studies who is not a member of the faculty or faculties where the program is delivered
- The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies (or designate), ex-officio and non-voting member
Subject to approval by Graduate Council, GPC’s may include additional voting members for the purpose of ensuring adequate program representation, effective program administration, and/or for the purpose of accommodating appropriate representation of external professional associations. GPC’s may also include standing, yet non-voting, resource members as required.
Each of the GPCs, acting on delegated authority from Graduate Council, or by sub-delegated authority to the graduate program committee Chair, is responsible for the general supervision of its program, including:
- Reporting to Graduate Council at least semi-annually, or upon request.
- Recommending to Graduate Council any programmatic changes.
- Recommending to the Dean (or Dean’s designate) on needs for graduate scholarships, assistantships or awards.
- Recommending to the Dean (or Dean’s designate), and assisting as appropriate, on initiatives related to recruiting and marketing for the program.
- Recommending to the Dean (or Dean’s designate), and assisting as appropriate, on initiates related to student orientation, retention, and campus experience.
- Recommending to the Dean (or Dean’s designate) offers of admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Approving credit for any previous courses and/or graduate work.
- Approving requests for course substitution.
- Approving the appointment of examiners for examinations in the School of Graduate Studies, and reviewing the conduct and the results of examinations.
- Reviewing and recommending to the Dean (or Dean’s designate) on students’ assigned progress and standing in the program, including any recommendation that the student be placed on probation or withdrawn from the program.
- Approving student requests for internal transfer from other graduate majors or programs.
- Approving the composition of and/or changes to the composition of students’ supervisory committees.
- Recommending graduands to the Executive Committee of Graduate Council for Graduate Council approval.
Quorum: At least 50% of voting members.