Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program
Global Affairs Canada and the Chinese Ministry of Education are offering short-term scholarships to Canadians wishing to study abroad in China. Scholarships are awarded for studies, research, language studies or a combination of studies and language studies at participating Chinese institutions.
- tuition fees at participating Chinese institutions;
- a monthly stipend appropriate to the recipient’s status (Approximate values):
- 2,500 Yuan for undergraduate and language students;
- 3,000 Yuan for Master’s degree students; and
- 3,500 Yuan for PhD students and senior scholars.
- on-campus accommodation or a subsidy for off-campus accommodation (if permitted); and
- comprehensive medical insurance.
- be Canadian citizens residing in Canada;
- be either:
- a full-time professor or research staff at a recognized post-secondary education or research institution in Canada;
- a student enrolled in either a college, undergraduate or graduate program at a recognized post-secondary education institution in Canada; or
- a mid-career professional from a Canadian government, media or cultural organization, or national education association, who has a graduate (Master's or doctoral) degree and has managerial, policy development or decision making responsibilities for at least three years with the organization;
- have achieved the required level of written and spoken Chinese by the host institution in China, if applicable;
- undertake studies in an approved subject area in a Chinese institution;
- not be seeking a degree in China; and
- be under 50 years of age.
The deadline to submit the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) online application is March 6, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EDT.
The deadline to receive the China Scholarship Council (CSC) online application form and supporting documentation by mail is March 6, 2018.
Scholarships are awarded for:
- four to 12 months for students; and
- eight weeks to 12 months in the case of mid-career professionals and faculty members.
The Chinese academic year starts in September and ends in early July, including a winter vacation of approximately three weeks in January or February.
Scholarships can begin as of September 2018 and must end before August 2019.