Board of Governors Alumni Representative - Richard Masson
Richard's previous experiences include:
- Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission: CEO, where he lead Alberta's domestic and international commercial focus on activities to support the development of new crude oil infrastructure and markets. Richard represented Alberta/APMC on the Sturgeon Refinery Executive Leadership Committee, which is overseeing the construction, start-up and operations of Canada's newest refinery, and $9.5 billion project that will commence operations in 2017. He was also active on the Operative; Finance; Audit; Commercial; Health Safety and Environment; and Insurance Committees for the project.
- Nexen: VP Risk Management and member of the Marketing Global Leadership Team; Finance Director and member of the Long Lake Management Committee
- Value Creation Group: Director of Business Development and Corporate Planning.
- Shell: Manager, Planning and Finance for the Athabasca Oil Sands Project.
- Alberta Energy Department: Director of Oil Sands Policy and Development, where he led the development of the generic oil sands royalty system in 1995-96.
- Alberta Finance: Senior Analyst, Heritage Fund
Richard is Vice-Chair, and has served as Acting Chair of the Board of Governors of the University of Lethbridge and is also a member of its Executive, Finance, Audit, Advancement and Compensation Committees. He obtained his undergraduate degree from the U of L. He is also a board member of the China-Alberta Petroleum Center, World Petroleum Congress Canada, and previously was a board member and Audit Committee Chair for the Calgary Regional Community Board for Persons with Developmental Disabilities. He has also been active on other non-profit boards. Richard holds MBA, CFA, and ICD.D designations.