Digital Audio Arts Requirements
Portfolio & Essay Requirements
Submit your portfolio and essay prior to one of these dates
- Dec 15 – First Round*
- Mar 15 – Second Round*
- Jun 15 – Final Evaluation
*Lines up with scholarship deadlines
It is recommended (not required) that applicants have strong computer skills and a background in music, either high school music classes or private instruction.
Music Studio Option
DAA students have the option to register in Music Studio courses. To register for the first time in Music studio you must apply and pass an audition (Music Studio Audition), which you can do either prior to attending the University or while here.
Dive into the reasons you are interested in wanting to study Digital Audio Arts (DAA). This essay provides insight for the Music Department about your background, experience, inspirations and goals. In approximately 600 words, Include:
- Reasons for choosing this program
- Areas of interest in DAA (examples: production, film, broadcast, composition and/or computer music)
- All audio and technology experiences in this area of study
- Music theory background (be specific - high school music classes or private instruction.)
- Any other information that you deem relevant
3-5 Examples of your work
Submit examples of three to five current pieces of audio recordings, which may be acoustic or electronic, and may or may not be original compositions. Videos and other digital imagery are also acceptable.
You are encouraged to submit works that display variety and the breadth of your experiences. Although not required, you are strongly encouraged to use the following options to help diversify your examples:
- Music Production – a piece of music from any genre produced and recorded by you.
- Audio for Film – remove the sound from a scene in a movie or video and reproduce all dialogue, sound effects and scores.
- Soundscape – collect and capture sounds that depict an environment to transport a listener to that space.
- Sonic Art – create an experimental piece that explores ideas of sound that is produced either electronically or acoustically.
- Radio Advertisement – create a 30 sec. radio advertisement utilizing dialogue, sound effects and music.
Include the following information with your work
- Year of work
- Technology or equipment used
- Brief description of the work – max. 50 words (optional)
- Names of any collaborators (if relevant)
Online Portfolio Submission Process
- Submit your application for admission to the University prior to submitting portfolio
- Upload and submit your portfolio online at Slideroom
You may upload images (jpg), video (mov, wmv, flv), music (mp3) and one PDF document file with a maximum 6 pages. SlideRoom links directly to Vimeo, YouTube and SoundCloud.
For best image quality and fast upload, image files should be about 1024 x 768px @ 72 dpi. Please keep video files under 60MB and limited to 2 - 3 minute clips. Our SlideRoom portal offers additional instruction for submitting your work. For technical assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
At SlideRoom you can login and edit your portfolio as often as you like; however, once you have submitted it, no changes can be made. A USD fee is charged at the time of submission.
Questions? …Get Answers
Admission and Portfolio Advisor
Faculty of Fine Arts
Phone: (403) 380-1864