This award occurs every other year and will be awarded again in the 2020-2021 academic year.
Generously supported by U of L alumnus Terry Whitehead, the Striking Prose competition aims to encourage excellence and development in student short story writing. This competition is open to ALL U of L undergraduate students. One entry per student per competition. Student group entries welcome. Playwriting submissions judged by pre-selected blind jury.
Contact: Jay Gamble
- Entry should be no more than 6,000 words.
- Include a cover page with your name, story title and your contact information (phone number and email address). The story itself should only have the title of the work on the first page.
- Get a submission form and complete guidelines from outside room A840E.
- Submit entry in hard copy to Bev Garnett (A812) by 4 pm on the deadline.
Striking Prose Entry Form
- First prize $1,500, second prize $750, and third prize $250.
- A public reading of the first place winners at the Plays and Prose Gala, held in the spring.
- Winning play receives dramaturgical support from a member of the adjudicators.
- Winning story receives writing support and advice from the adjudicators.
Eligibility: Any U of L undergrad student in good standing
Deadline: January 8, 2021