Faculty Recruitment Services

Vehicle Registration

First Time Registration, Transferring Registration

To register all new or used vehicles or trailers, the following is required:

  • proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale or lease agreement
  • proof of valid Alberta insurance, (not required when registering a trailer)
  • two pieces of identification or an Alberta Operator's licence
  • new vehicles require the original new vehicle information statement which the dealer must provide
  • vehicles imported into Canada require a Vehicle Import Form obtained from Transport Canada
  • an inspection certificate from Alberta Infrastructure is required for all first time Alberta registrations of used vehicles
  • the vehicle must be in Alberta
  • letter of authorization if someone is acting on your behalf

If you currently have valid Alberta licence plates in your name, you may transfer them to the new vehicle.
For registry agent locations, see registry agent network.