Children's and Young Adult Literature
- For a background on the efficacy of using eBooks in the classroom, as well as some of the best picture books and eBooks for the Alberta curriculum, see our Best Books and eBooks For Educators website.
- Our Digital Resource Subscriptions page contains several children's literature websites:
- Scholastic's BookFLIX database (grades K-3) pairs classic fiction video storybooks from Weston Woods with nonfiction eBooks (To access this database, go to LearnAlberta.ca's Online Reference Centre). List of BookFLIX titles.
- Trueflix (grades 3-6) access videos and interactive non-fiction books organized according to the following categories: Earth Science, Ecosystems, Experiments, Extreme Nature, Human Body, Space, Ancient Civilizations, Continents and Disasters. Related Grolier Online articles, project ideas, quizzes and web links are provided. (To access this database, go to LearnAlberta.ca's Online Reference Centre).
- Tumblebooks -- A collection of 300+ animated, talking picture books and 40+ chapter books (Including some French and Spanish titles). It also includes puzzles, games, and resources for teachers.
List of Tumblebooks titles.
- Best Books and eBooks For Educators points you to some of the best titles for integrating literature into your classroom curriculum. The majority of the titles will be available in both our print and eBook collections (through Follett eBooks).
- Raz-kids.com is an online leveled reading library including audio books, comprehension activities etc. for elementary students. For maximum access, login with a username and password.
- Readinga-z.com is an online reading program including all types of printable reading materials and lessons, including assessments and reader's theatre scripts. Click on the Members link for maximum access.
- Looking for specific suggestions for using literature titles across the curriculum? Suggestions are available through our Best Books and eBooks For Educators website. It will include access to our Follet eBooks website, including hundreds of picture eBooks you can use in your classrooms.
- Google books allows you to download eBooks, including children's titles and free titles.
- Project Gutenberg's Children's Literature Site-- Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks.
- International Children's Digital Library -- World's most comprehensive multicultural digital library of outstanding children's books.
- Aaron Shepard's Reader's Theatre Page