There are a number of requirements that must be satisfied before entering the Faculty of Education regardless of whether you are applying to the After Degree program or the Combined Degrees program.
NOTE: Completion of the required prerequisites does not guarantee or imply subsequent admission to the Faculty of Education. The selection of qualified applicants is primarily based on cumulative grade point average and performance in Education 2500 (Orientation to Teaching).
The following is a list of the minimum requirements to be eligible to apply to the Faculty of Education:
You must have successfully completed at least 20 university-level semester courses (60 credit hours) with grades submitterd by the June 1 document deadline.
As well, you must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0 scale calculated on all UofL and transferable courses taken within the semesters containing the last 20 university-level courses (60 credit hours). All courses mut be graded with the exception of Education 2500. Further information about GPA's can be found here.
If you are not a current student at the University of Lethbridge, then official transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the document deadline of June 1. Courses indicating the final grade must be listed on the official transcript when being used for admission.
You must have successfully completed the minimum designated number of courses in a teaching subject major (which may include cognates, if applicable to major). This is usually 8 for a single discipline major and 11 for a general major (including at least 5 courses in the main teaching subject area) prior to admission to the Faculty of Education. The teaching subject majors are as listed below:
1. Art - Eight semester courses in Art
2. Career and Technology Studies: Eight semester courses in Management/Commerce or New Media
3. Drama - Eight semester courses in Drama (See Special Admission Requirements)
4. English - Eight semester courses in English or eleven General Humanities courses from three areas including five in English
5. Mathematics - Eight semester courses in Mathematics, Computer Science and Statistics or eleven General Sciences courses from three areas including five in Mathematics/Statistics
6. Modern Languages - Eight semester courses in either French or German or a combination of eight courses in French/German or French/Spanish
7. Music - Eight semester courses in Music (See Special Admission Requirement)
8. Native Education - Eight semester courses in Native American Studies or eleven General Social Sciences courses from three areas including five from Native American Studies. At least five of seven courses in a required minor in a teachable school subject. Courses in the minor must be distinct from the major (See Special Admission Requirements)
9. Physical Education - Eight semester courses in Kinesiology/Physical Activity (24 credit hours) or eleven courses General Social Sciences in three areas including five in Kinesiology (See Special Admission Requirements)
10. Science - Eight semester courses in Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Physical Geography, or eleven courses in three General Sciences areas including five in either Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Physical Geography (Two of the three areas must be school Science subjects)
11. Social Studies - Eight semester courses in Anthropology, Economics, History, Geography, Political Science or Sociology or eleven General Social Sciences courses from three areas including five in the first disciplinary stream
NOTE: To graduate with a B.Ed. students must complete a minimum of 10 -16 courses* in a single disciplinary major or 16 courses in the general areas of Humanities, Sciences or Social Sciences
* The total number of courses required in the single discipline will vary depending on the major
Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral English by the June 1 document deadline. This can be met in any one of the following ways:
Completion of specific additional special admission requirements in the following majors:
Contact Student Program Services by Phone at 403.329.2254, by Fax 403.329.2372 or email email@example.com for details and dates on these special admission requirements.