NEW application deadline is February 1. The document deadline is March 1
NEW Admission Requirements:
There are a number of requirements that must be satisfied before entering the Faculty of Education regardless of whether you are applying to the After Degree program or the Combined Degrees program.
NOTE: Completion of the required prerequisites does not guarantee or imply subsequent admission to the Faculty of Education. The selection of qualified applicants is primarily based on cumulative grade point average and performance in Education 2500 (Orientation to Teaching).
The following is a list of the minimum requirements to be eligible to apply to the Faculty of Education:
A. Number of Courses
You must have successfully completed at least 14 graded university-level semester courses (42 credit hours) with grades submitted by the document deadline (March 1).
As well, you must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0 scale calculated on all UofL and transferable courses taken within the semesters containing the last 14 graded university-level courses (42 credit hours). Further information about GPAs can be found here.
If you are not a current student at the University of Lethbridge, then official transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the document deadline of March 1. Courses indicating the final grade must be listed on the official transcript when being used for admission.
B. Subject Majors
You must have successfully completed the minimum designated number of courses in a teaching subject major (which may include cognates, if applicable to major). This is usually 5 for a single discipline major and 8 for a general major (including at least 3 courses in the main teaching subject area) prior to admission to the Faculty of Education. The teaching subject majors are as listed below:
1. Art - Five semester courses in Art
2. Career and Technology Studies - Five semester courses in Management/Commerce or New Media
3. Drama - Five semester courses in Drama
4. English - Five semester courses in English or eight General Humanities courses from three areas including four in English
5. Mathematics - Five semester courses in Mathematics, Computer Science and Statistics or eight General Sciences courses from three areas including four in Mathematics/Statistics
6. Modern Languages - Five semester courses in French or a combination of five courses in French/Spanish
7. Music - Five semester courses in Music
8. Native Education - Five semester courses in Native American Studies or eight General Social Sciences courses from three areas including four from Native American Studies. At least three of seven courses in a required minor in a teachable school subject. Courses in the minor must be distinct from the major (See Special Admission Requirements)
9. Physical Education - Five semester courses in Kinesiology/Physical Activity (15 credit hours) or eight courses General Social Sciences in three areas including four in Kinesiology (See Special Admission Requirements)
10. Science - Five semester courses in Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Physical Geography, or eight courses in three General Sciences areas including four in either Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Physical Geography (two of the three areas must be school Science subjects)
11. Social Studies - Five semester courses in Anthropology, Economics, History, Geography, Political Science or Sociology or eight General Social Sciences courses from three areas including four in History. Eight semester courses in the Canadian Studies major, including at least four courses in the main teaching subject
NOTE: To graduate with a B.Ed. students must complete a minimum of 10 - 16 courses* in a single disciplinary major or 16 courses in the general areas of Humanities, Sciences or Social Sciences
* The total number of courses required in the single discipline will vary depending on the major
C. Education 2500 - Orientation to Teaching
D. Grade Point Average
- You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale calculated on all U of L and transferable courses taken within the semesters containing your last 14 graded university-level courses (42 credit hours), including courses in a previous degree and courses taken subsequently
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on all graded courses comprising the major, including all transferable courses
- On a 9 point scale, a 2.5 = 6.0
- As a letter grade, 2.5 = B- average (approximately)
- As a percentage, 2.5 ranges from 67% (if 50% is a pass) to 71% (if 60% is a pass).
Application Deadline: February 1 Document Deadline: March 1