*IMPORTANT UPDATE: Our NEW application deadline is February 1. The document deadline is March 1.
The teacher education program can be completed in two ways:
1. The Combined Degrees Program is a five year program which results in the simultaneous granting of two degrees
2. If you already have a degree, you may be eligible for the After Degree B. Ed. Program
You will choose a teachable school subject major as the UofL program does not consider applications based upon elementary or secondary streams. Teacher certification is K-12 in Alberta.
Before you can be considered for admission to the Faculty of Education, you will need to meet the following general requirements:
- minimum of 14 graded university-level semester courses (42 credit hours) to be completed by the March 1 document deadline
- minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 out of 4 scale calculated on all UofL and transferable courses taken within the terms containing the last 14 graded university-level courses (42 credit hours).
- admission GPA chart
- a designated number of courses in your teachable subject major - minimum of 5 courses for a single discipline major and 8 for a general major (with at least 4 courses in the first disciplinary stream) prior to admission to the Faculty of Education
- minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0 in the courses comprising your teachable school subject major
- Education 2500 (Orientation to Teaching) to be completed prior to Fall admission; Pass/Recommended required
- more detailed admission requirements can be found here
Are you applying as a high school student?
If you are applying to the Combined Degrees Program directly from high school, you will need to meet the general entrance requirements of the University. Your application and all of your supporting documents will need to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office and not to the Faculty of Education.
Are you applying as a transfer student?
If you are thinking of transferring to the University of Lethbridge to complete a degree in Education, your admission to the Faculty will depend on where you are in your current program.
You may be considered for direct entry to the Faculty of Education if you have already completed 14 transferable courses (42 credit hours) and met all other admission requirements.
If you have not yet completed these requirements, you can apply to be a part of the Pre-Education program in the Faculty of Arts and Science, Fine Arts or Management.
Are you applying as a continuing student?
If you are a current student at the University of Lethbridge and are seeking admission to the Faculty of Education, please fill out the Request to Change a Program or Major and submit the form to the Registrar's Office.
Are you applying as an Aboriginal student?
If you are a student of Aboriginal descent, we offer unique admission routes to meet your needs.
For more information or to schedule an interview, contact:
Student Program Services
Does your teaching major have requirements?
Depending on what your teachable subject major is, you will need to meet certain requirements before you can be admitted to the Faculty of Education
Have you chosen a teachable subject major with unique requirements?
You may have chosen a teaching major that has specialized requirements for entry into the Faculty of Education. This includes:
- Native Education
If Native Education will be your teachable subject major, find out what you need to know before applying to the Faculty of Education.
Where to apply:
Contact Student Program Services for more information:
Student Program Services
Faculty of Education
Room TH 421 Turcotte Hall
University of Lethbridge
4401 University Drive
Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 3M4