What do you love?
Are you fascinated by genetic modification? Do you dream of helping to solve global health or resource issues by developing new ways to combat diseases or by creating alternative food or energy sources? Does a career in Medicine or Pharmacology interest you?
Develop your passion in Biochemistry.
Learn more about Biochemistry at the U of L!
Dr. Ben Cavilla is an Alumni of the UofL.
Welcome to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Lethbridge!
Why a degree in Biochemistry? Biochemistry is the study of all living systems at the molecular level. It looks at the chemical and physical basis of life and how these microcosms interact with their environments.
It is a demanding field that combines expertise in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. Versatility and intense curiosity are the hallmarks of successful Biochemists, as they draw on knowledge from a variety of fields to investigate the molecules that facilitate life.
There are many areas within the discipline to focus on. Chemistry & Biochemistry and Biological Sciences professors at the University of Lethbridge do research in:
- Antibiotics & Bio-Nanomachines
- RNA Structure and Function
- Biochemical Systems
- RNA Processing Enzymes
- Cellular Protein Factories
- Plant Hormones
- Cellular Effects of Ionizing Radiation
- Genetic & Molecular Mechanisms
- DNA Repair & Genome Stability
- Plant Development & Pattern Formation
- Cancer Research Formation
- Carbon Utilization
As an undergraduate you will experience advantages such as:
- Small class sizes
- Personalized interaction with professors
- State of the art instrumentation in research labs
- You can work in a research lab
Majors we offer:
- BSc Chemistry
- BSc Biochemistry
- BSc/BEd Chemistry
- BSc/BMgt Chemistry
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Biochemistry
- PhD in numerous disciplines
As a new or returning student to our institution we want to help you find the information you're looking for, so we've provided a list of useful links below to get you started on your way.
You can also visit the Current Students page for FAQ’s and other information.
However, should you find that you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at (403) 329-2301 or complete our on-line inquiry
- Biochemistry Program Information
- Program Planning Guide
- School of Graduate Studies
- Admissions Information
- Academic Advising Information
- Careers in Biochemistry
High School students - here is a list of University courses and the High School courses that are recommended background or prerequisties for them.
Students are advised to complete recommended background courses before registering in the universty-level course. Students must have successfully completed prerequisites before they may register in the university-level course.
- Housing Costs or Cost of Living examples
- Entertainment and sports opportunities in Lethbridge and area; check out the Leisure Guide at the City of Lethbridge web page